I sent the Brett B version of the saison (renamed Monsoon Season) to the Batch 300 competition put on by The Bruery. It didn’t get Best of Show, but it did come in first in Category 16. All and all, very cool. The results.
The second split batch experiment happened on Sunday night with my latest saison.
I’ve done a few saison homebrews, and I always find I enjoy the bretted and soured batches just a little bit more. Saisons are not complete strangers to wildness and sourness, and some of the more famous examples of the style from Brasserie Fantôme and Brasserie à Vapeur are amazing because of those notes. I think it adds more complexity to the beer, and I find myself ramping up the acidulated malt that I put into the mash a little more each time. The idea behind this experiment was to ferment a saison and then to add a pure brettanomyces culture to one and brett and some souring bacteria into the other.
The beer started out as one of my standard saison batches with the not-so-secret ingredient of some acidulated malt. It started out with an OG of 1.068, and I fermented it at around 80 degrees. It dropped down to a 1.006 less than a week later, and then I let it sit for another week just to clean itself up and let the yeasts drop out. (I say “yeasts” because I pitch a saison yeast, in this case WLP565, and then a clean Cal ale yeast, the Safale US-05, 48 hours later to insure the beer dries out enough.)
On Sunday (8/23/09), I split the batch evenly between two 3-gallon carboys. Into one carboy I pitched a vial of White Labs Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (WLP650), and into the other I pitched a starter I had ramped up from the dregs of an Avery Brabant. (Yes, this is deviation from the original souring gameplan.)
The Brett B is a pure culture of that brettanomyces strain and it is often used for secondary fermentation of Belgian beers and lambics. It creates a medium intensity funk, and it is some pitched at bottling by brewers. The Avery culture is a bit more of a wildcard. It is my understanding that the Brabant undergoes a secondary fermentation brett b, too, but it isn’t the same culture as the tube. The bottle dregs likely include lactobacillus (lacto) and pediococcus (pedio) bacteria. These can add extra tartness and perhaps add a vinegar quality to the beer.
Since the final gravity of the beer was so low, the bretts shouldn’t have too much to feast upon and that should control the funkiness to a certain degree. As of two nights later, the brett b carboy doesn’t appear to be doing anything visually, but its airlock seems to be under a bit more pressure. The Brabant carboy is getting a white foaminess to it, and may be forming a pellicle.
I’m not sure how long I will let these beers age and evolve. I will likely taste them every so often and see if they are in a place where I want to bottle them.
We’ll see where this one ends up.
As a sidenote, I did use my wine thief a few weeks ago to fill up a few bottles of the pre-brett saison for tasting and a homebrew competition. I tasted one right before the split and it was very, very good. It made it harder to pitch uncertainty into what was an amazing beer, but at least I know I have the recipe I want dialed in for the future.
The recipe for giggles:
Le Moribond – (Saison) 2009
Starting Gravity: 1.068 (8/2/09) Days @ 80° F
Final Gravity: 1.006 (8/23/09)
8.15% alcohol (by volume)
Apparent Attenuation: 90.71
Real Attenuation: 73.35
Mash (147° 60 min)
10 lb Pilsener Malt
2 lb Golden Promise
1 lb Munich Malt
0.75 Wheat Malt
0.25 CaraMunich 40
0.25 Acidulated Malt (Sauer)
1 lb Cane Sugar
Boil (70 minute boil)
2.0 Hallertauer Leaves (4.3 AA) (60 min)
0.75 Hallertauer Leaves (4.3 AA) (0 min)
1 tablet Whirlfloc (Boil – 15 min.)
½ tsp Brewer’s Choice Wyeast Nutrient Blend (Boil – 10 min.)
Primary (>80° F)
White Labs WLP565 – Starter made
Safale-05 – Packet pitched after 48 hours in primary